Friday, December 14, 2012

Who doesn't love to support a children's hospital?

Have you seen Wonky Wilma?  I learned of her from Scruffy Badger, and instantly fell in love.  Janet of Kitchen Table Sewing created the pattern and will email it to you for a donation to the Great Ormond Street Hospital charity.  Our family is a big supporter of Arkansas Children's Hospital, and we all adore elephants, so I signed up immediately.  Coincidentally, my office had a "white elephant" party on the calendar, so I thought it would be fun gift that one of the young moms in the office would grab for her little one!


Wilma is only slightly wonky, in fact I think she is adorable!  I made mine with Minky ears, tail and foot pads, and used a funky print for the body that allowed me to place an eye-shaped pattern in the eye area and avoid using buttons, making it safe for little one who may want to eat a button.

My kids -- who are really too old for stuffed animals -- fell in love with her.  My daughter plans to make one for her white elephant party next week, as well as another for herself. My eleven year-old son begged to keep this one.  I now wish I had given it to him and just bought a gift card for the exchange.  As in the past, I was sorely disappointed with the office party.  Very little imagination was put into most gifts, and unfortunately, the person who opened Wilma was a young man in his 20's, who behaved as an unhappy toddler would when he saw the contents of the package.  He has probably already thrown her into the trash. 

I feel terrible that I wasted the little treasure on someone so unappreciative of handmade gifts.  I suppose I am spoiled, because anyone I've ever gifted in the past has been so happy to receive it -- or at least they were gracious enough to act as though they loved the gift.  Oh well, as we say in my business, "Lesson learned."  My daughter and I still plan to make a few of these for little people we know will enjoy her, and I think it is a wonderful gift that Janet has given to both the hospital and to those of us who sew. 

1 comment:

  1. It's so sad when you put all the time and effort in it and someone doesn't appreciate it :'( Wilma is adorable and hopefully she found a nice place after all!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!